I don’t know about you, but I’m not a huge fan of winter mornings. When I’m in a cocoon of blankets, and the sky’s still chilly charcoal dark, I REALLY don’t want to get up for anything! ;)
But my latest oatmeal creation is a pretty good incentive for pushing back those blankets and beginning your day with fresh hope and joy. There’s also something comforting about beginning a day with something slow and ritualistic like heating milk on the stove, stirring in the oats, and contemplating the day that stretches out before you.
Katie’s Winter Oats
This hearty bowl of oats combines the flavors of cranberry, orange, walnuts, and semi-sweet chocolate. It reminds me of a cookie, muffin, or scone — but feels healthy! Lightly sweet, while also being hearty and filling — it’s definitely my new favorite way to start the day.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I use Silk)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 handful dried cranberries (right now I just have OceanSpray, but I’m searching for a brand that doesn’t add refined sugar)
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
- 1 sprinkle of orange peel to taste
- 1 sprinkle of chocolate chips (optional; I’ll let YOU decide how much to add! It would still be delicious without the chocolate, but mornings are just better with a little chocolate, am I right?!) ;)
Cook your oats, according to the directions on the package. Once they’re ready, add your toppings, stir, (let cool a bit), and enjoy!