I have not been doing very well with the whole keeping up with blogging thing. I have a notebook full of ideas, but just haven’t been able to devote the time or energy to develop and share them. I suppose there are seasons like that, and we have to be okay with the ebb and flow of creativity in our lives. I’ve never been someone who posts just to post. If I don’t feel I have anything to share, I don’t share.
I’m also at a bit of an in-between season when it comes to blogging and creating. As I do every so often, I’m re-evaluating the heart behind the blog and where I want to take it next. That’s definitely a process, but it’s a good thing, and I’m excited to see where God leads me next!
Anyway, I’m writing tonight (accompanied by a bowl of cheddar/caramel popcorn!) to share an update on the goals I set at the beginning of the year as part of Lara Casey’s Making Things Happen series. (It’s hard to believe it’s almost May, right!?!)
Here’s a brief recap of this year’s goals (as well as my updates so far):
- Make space for God to move. The biggest way I’ve been seeking to do this is beginning each day in the Word. I want to hear from God and know what He’s calling me to. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I’m looking forward to taking prayer walks again, as well. They really clear my head, allow me to worship, and just take time out to really share my heart with God. They refresh me in a way that just reading my Bible or praying inside cannot.
- Invest my time and heart into building an encouraging creative community that blesses others and brings God glory both online and offline. It’s been pretty amazing to see God moving in this area. Even though we are only a few months into 2014, I’ve already been blessed to build community in quite a few different ways. I had an incredible experience hosting the An Inspired Life book club, and I’m excited to host more of them in the future. I’m also looking at possibly offering eCourses that would create a similar community and experience. I met miss Kelsey of Pinegate Road, and we’ve been collaborating on some branding stuff that I’m excited to develop, as well as resources/events for local creative folks in Cleveland. I know I keep using the word excited, but seriously. I’m really excited!! ;)
- Live a full and inspired life in 2014 — and encourage others to do the same. So many things could be listed here, but basically, I’m trying to live intentionally, with purpose and with passion. I’m identifying what’s important to me and determining how I can make those things a priority in my life. I even did what Shauna Niequest wrote about in her book Bittersweet and made a list of What I Do and What I Don’t Do. As Shauna wrote, it’s easy to decide what we want our lives to be about, but it isn’t easy to figure out what we are willing to give up, in order to make those things happen. Maybe that’s a future post, but that exercise really helped me find focus and direction (and do less comparing). Some of the things that have been priorities so far this year that are helping me live an inspired life: reading lots and lots of good books, taking ballet barre classes, starting to run again, and creative collaborations with others.
- Date intentionally — with courage and with hope. I’m praying this simple prayer and trusting God to take care of the details. I’m taking chances and being open to God’s plan. And I’m learning A LOT. It’s a good season, and I’m hopeful for what’s to come.
- Explore new possibilities. Lots of new possibilities on the horizon: the branding of this blog (working with Kelsey and taking Braid Creative’s personal branding eCourse, etc.), further developing my idea of helping others live and tell inspired stories, and learning hand lettering. We’ll see what else gets added to this list as the year continues! I’m really trying to live in such a way that I look for even the little possibilities in each and every day, too. That might be a future blog post, as well… :)
Since this update is starting to get pretty long, I think I’ll wrap it up, but I feel good about the progress I’ve made and everything God is doing and teaching. I really believe in Lara’s advice to focus on the small, but steady steps we take. Dreams aren’t chased and caught in a day. The important things in our lives take time and faithfulness. I want to be okay with the pace God sets for me and enjoy the journey.
What about you? Did you set goals for 2014? How have they been going? I’d love to hear from you.